Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Workout Wednesday

Happy Wednesday! I hope everyone is having a good week so far. My days thus far have been filled with Crossfit, runs, bike rides, and reading. Couldn't ask for a better stay-cation. So I was really pondering what I wanted to write about for today's post I thought that I would follow up with you guys on my recent Paleo Challenge I was in. I felt like it needed a conclusion especially because I had made mention in all my Workout Wednesday posts. 


So if you have been following my Workout Wednesday posts you know that I committed to the Paleo Challenge that my Crossfit Gym was hosting. You can follow my journey with Paleo and my 30 days of strict Paleo. I threw myself 110% into this challenge because I really thought this could be the answer to my recent weight gain that I've been experiencing over the last 2 years. I've had blood work and my thyroid check numerous times with no findings but yet the scale keeps creeping up. Yes I know muscle weighs more than fat and I do have a lot of muscle but it doesn't match what the scale is saying. So mid way through the challenge I weighed myself and when I was HORRIFIED by what the scale said of a gain of 5 pounds! I wanted to scream, cry, and quit. I only did two of those things (scream & cried) but I didn't quit. However I did immediately make an appointment with my doctor to figure out what was going on. She didn't help the situation because while I stepped on the scale and her telling me that I've gained 20 pounds since seeing her a year ago (nothing like rubbing salt in an open wound). I told her it wasn't like I was sitting on my butt and eating Bon Bon's all day and watching talk shows I was a highly active person that took joy in working out and eating healthy. I confessed to her that I was frustrated and at a breaking point with my weight because I can't loose a pound to save my life! Literally. To my dismay she came over to me and in a sweet voice asked me, "have you ever considered going to a weight loss center?" I was in shock but I was able to mumble out a response of, "like gastric bypass surgery?", her response, "Yes that is one option" In this moment I thought I could have many reactions like:


A. Screaming at her -- perfectly acceptable
B. Bursting into hysteria-- she then may think I've lost my mind
C. Use humor


I chose humor as the best option. So my response to her was, "Well I was actually thinking of becoming anoxeric and bulimic because I thought it would be a lot cheaper and less invasive. So I think I'll go that route." She clearly didn't know how to take me and my sarcasm because I was clearly joking. However she was in shell shock. So I told her why don't we do some more blood work and give me a good recommendation who can help me find the problem vs. just putting a band-aid on it. So after a few viles of blood and a recommendation letter I was sent on my way. However I was still feeling down and the thought of two more weeks on this diet just wasn't making it any easier. But I continued on so finally on the last day I thought I'm going to step on that scale and see what my final results were. I waited on that scale in anticipation of what those numbers would read and maybe just maybe I would have a shocker. So when I opened my eyes to see what the scale read I had to blink twice not because I was proud of what I saw but the horror it read. I have now gained 7 pounds, fabulous. So all in all my takeaway from this was I still want to incorporate some Paleo ways however I'm not going to restrict myself of everything because clearly it didn't pay off for me. So I came, I saw, and I didn't conquer. 


Has anyone had a not so great success story with a diet that they stuck to and didn't get the results they wanted?? Would love to hear some feedback. 




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment