Thursday, December 8, 2011

The tooth fairy that leaves pain killers instead of money

The thought of writing this post already gives me anxiety, talking about it gives me anxiety, making the appointment almost made me vomit, you wonder what I could be talking about.... my wisdom teeth. Ugh. You may wonder why at 25 I don't have them out yet well easy because when I should have had them out around the age 16 they weren't fully grown in yet and my dentist wanted to see if they were all going to be bone impacted or partial. Plus they've never really bothered me so I thought if it isn't broken why fix it?? It didn't help that my mum still had all hers and that in her early 20's she went to get them removed and had a horrible experience that left her running out of the oral surgeons office. I would always say well if my mum still has them and they haven't shifted her teeth I would have the same luck. 
  Now I don't know very many people who like going to the dentist and I especially don't again it gives me anxiety and I'm not sure why because I never had a bad experience at a dentist. I guess it's all the noise and prodding they do that gives me anxiety. However my dentist every time is always harping on me to get my wisdom teeth removed. I have used every excuse in the book, some examples you ask? 

- I can't get off work (lie I get 5 weeks of vacation a year I just don't want to spend one of those weeks holed up in bed with gauze stuck in my mouth and me drooling like a baby and eating only soft foods. I mean I'm not 90...yet)
- It's our busiest time of year- you think I can take time off now?! (Even if it's not Christmas, Valentine's Day, or Mother's Day I seem to make up some event we may be holding and act like it is insanity at work)
- I just tell him I can't do it because I have really bad anxiety about it and I just can't go through with it

My dentist I think has been keeping track of my excuses because lately he has a comeback. So about a year ago when he brought up this hot topic he thought he would go in for the kill... he told me that if I didn't get this taken care of soon that my teeth would shift and my beautiful teeth would not be so beautiful anymore. However I had my own comeback up my sleeve because my fabulous orthodontist equipped me with bottom & top permanent retainers to prevent any shifting. Take that Mr. Dentist! Bought myself another 6 months. 
  Well those 6 months seemed to fly by because before I knew it I was back sitting in the dentist chair and this time he wasn't so nice about the topic of my wisdom teeth. He told me enough is enough I needed them out because if I don't I would have to get a root canal (now I think he used this as a scare tactic because he knows how much I hate even getting a filling let alone a root canal?!?! YIKES!!!) I told him I would at least call the oral surgeon and see what the steps would be. 
  As coincidence would have it my mum actually needed two of hers removed because they were finally starting to bother her. She was going to use the same oral surgeon as I was so I thought well I'll have her go first and see how bad this really is. She survived and she only did it on Novocaine however she has a much higher pain tolerance than I do. She was swollen and bruised for almost a week but did fairly well. Well enough for me to finally pick up the phone and make my consultation appointment. This was a huge step for me here. However as I was dialing and speaking to the receptionist I felt like I could vomit at any given moment. Because I felt like this was a do or die moment I even made my appointment for the surgery. She had two available times for the date I wanted a 8:00 am or 12:30 pm. Most people would have probably chosen the 8:00 am one but let's be honest if I'm going to be holed up in my bed for almost 5 days I needed to get another work out in! I mean priorities people. So the date is set and I'm freaking out but I guess it's not going to get any easier the longer I wait. 

I can only imagine what I'm going to be like after being put under (I've never been put under before) I just hope I don't say something stupid or worse yet get sick. However let's be honest who doesn't love a good youtube video about this topic. Here is one of my favorites. . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment